Wednesday, September 25, 2013

American Prairie Reserve

By Keith McHugh
Tony Nastase


By Michael Stocker
www.americanprairie.org
By Rob Mutch
Yesterday I watched The National Geographic documentary "American Serengeti," about the American Prairie Reserve. The documentary reminded me greatly of my trip to the reserve a few years ago. I searched for photographs of the animals that are populated on the reserve and that help for it to thrive and rebuild its greatness. I remember camping in these huts out there called yurts. When I was there, we spent an afternoon taking down a barbed-wire fence, many of which prohibit animals like the prong horn from migrating to where they need to go. The fences can also be harmful to many animals because they get caught in them and become stressed and end up injuring themselves. All of these species are vital to help the prairie be healthy and the prairie is in turn vital to all of these species. The picture of the American Kestral is great, she is looking right at you, paying close attention.





No comments:

Post a Comment